Monday, January 30, 2012

Purple Affair for the Bear

It's not healthy to be all work and no play, so a while ago I planned to go to a charity event for Bear Necessities which was last week.  It was much different than my usual scene, but I liked getting dressed up and going somewhere nice for a change.  This was an annual event hosted by the auxiliary board members at the River East Art Center.  The venue is great and would make for a glamorous wedding, I could only imagine what that would cost though.  I was surprised by how many of my old co-workers from West Belden were there.  It was great to catch up since I don't see most of them on a regular basis.  I later found out that a first grader from the school was recently diagnosed with eye cancer and that's why there was such a turn out.  It was devastating news, especially since the girls older brother was one of my former students and I know how much he loves and cares for his sister.  My heart goes out to their family.

A group of people from the WB crowd went out for pre-cocktails before the event, but due to my new life plan I had to regrettably forgo the pre-party festivities.  I was working on my clinical assignment all day and 7pm was too ambitious of a goal for me.  I worked all the way up to the time I had to get in the shower and was still a little late to the event.  The event was a blast and raised over $38,000 for pediatric cancer.   Despite my slight overindulgence I willed up the strength to hit the books the next morning and host the weekly study session.  Mary and Nadine were my saviors when they brought snacks.  Mary baked banana nut muffins and Nadine brought prosciutto, blue cheese and gouda.  Acute inflammation, hypersensitivities and auto immunity didn't seem so bad after that :o)   

No comments:

Post a Comment