I am fully emerged in my nursing program and kinda have my weekly routine down. Monday is my short day at Rush, 9-12 for nursing theory. Then I usually have to be at work at 4 but it's been so slow that I've had a couple mondays off, which I'm not complaining about. Tuesday is Pathophysiology from 10-2 and then I have the afternoon off to study. I always say Im going to go to the gym, but never quite make it there, I admit it's a habit I I need to change, but I get so caught up in school and that is where my head is at. Wednesday is the longest from 9-4 and then I go straight to work from there. Wednesday afternoon is when I have lab where we learn and practice techniques before doing them in clinical. Nothing exciting yet, one day was just on personal protective equipment and hand hygiene aka how to put on a mask and wash your hands. I wonder how much I had to pay Rush to teach me how to wash my hands? So that is my class schedule this semester
Thursday is my "day off" which I purposefully put in quotes because it really isn't a day off. I volunteer at the Illinois Masonic hospital in the morning and love it. It is a really great opportunity and Im hoping this networking will open some doors in the near future. Every other week Im in the PACU (post-anesthesia care unit) doing simple tasks at the nursing station or Im in the OR stocking fluids and other things. I admit stocking shelves is mindless work, but I get to see into the OR rooms while the doctors are performing surgery. Last week the head medical assistant gave me her email and told me to contact her if I wanted to sit in on a surgery. Ummm, yes please! On the opposite week Im around the hospital helping people find their way and being a smiling face so patient satisfaction ratings go up. Yesterday, as I was escorting this old Russian woman to the waiting room she told me her story that she was going to get kicked out of her apartment (because she's a hoarder) unless she goes and sees a psychiatrist. And then she asks me if I think that's fair? Needless to say, I meet some interesting folk while volunteering and they're always giving me TMI but I enjoy hearing their life stories. People just fascinate me.
Among all this hustle and bustle, I do manage to have some fun. Last Saturday I went out to dinner at the Prasino's in Wicker Park for my roommate Matt's birthday. It was nice and relaxing evening with good company and despite the crappy service the food way great. Tyler and I split the lobster stuffed avocado and a honey and goat cheese flatbread. That was my splurge for the week. His friend Jessica made a fabulous two tiered cake with one layer being chocolate with a caramel cream filling and the other was vanilla with a cherry filling. The table only ate half of it and then they gave to the staff to eat. I kinda wanted to be like oh no, Ill take that home for Matt, but I didn't want to get labeled the fat kid. So instead I let a tear fall down my cheek as I watched the delicious cake go to the kitchen. Everyone else in the group headed out to the bars and a late night club and I headed home to do some homework.
Yes, at midnight on a Saturday I was looking forward to some homework. Plus a hang over wouldn't have boded well with my early afternoon study group (although one nursing friend didn't have that same insight on Saturday night, we dont need to say any names, you know who you are ;o). That is how I know I made the right choice in careers. Nursing school takes up about 95% of my life and I don't mind it one bit! I actually love it and can't wait to learn more and gain more responsibilities in the hospital setting. The body is such a magnificent thing and every day I am flabbergasted by it's complexity and all it does to keep us alive.

I think you found your calling!!!!
ReplyDelete