Every Thursday I volunteer at the hospital down the block from me. It's not completely selfless, I do have an underlying motive to network and have experience to put on my resume. Every other week I help in the OR. Usually I'm in the PACU answering phones, getting stickers from patients charts and sometimes just socializing with the doctors and nurses. The nurse secretary loves me because I always clean and organize their drawers. Today I came in and she was like girl I have to show you something, were famous. About a month ago the hospital did this initiative for employees to encourage an "advocate experience" and enhance patient satisfaction yada... yada... yada... All I knew was they were giving away cupcakes and I was there. We got cupcakes for the entire unit and were asked to take pictures with "captain advocate." Super cheesy I know!
We can't leave the OR without wearing a coat over our scrubs for sanitary reasons so I borrowed one of the nurses from the unit. I kinda felt like an impostor when they insisted on taking pictures of us. I don't even work there. Well turns out they liked our picture the best because it was one of the few used in the monthly newsletter that goes to all staff at the hospital. And that is why I'm famous... at least in the Advocate network... well maybe just at Illinois Masonic... eh probably just with the PACU crew... or maybe not at all. I just hope it helps me get a job down the road. It's about time I get paid for doing what I do there for free.

Wow, the professional "look" brought a tear to my eye, until I read that you borrowed the jacket....Some day Stina you will be wearing one with your name on it, one you earned from all your hard work.
ReplyDelete