So in addition to school, work, and volunteering I have taken on another job. I have maintained my profile on Care.com for babysitting and tutoring, but nothing had really come of it until now. I was contacted by the creator of Rising Scholars who thought I would be a perfect match for one of his new clients. It just fell into my lap and I didn't really have to do anything so I took the job. I'm a little honored that they want me to work for them because they seem like a pretty legit company. It's husband and wife owned, both of whom came from the education field, and has been expanding exponentially the past few years.
So last night was my first session with this girl and it went very well. She is a junior at DePaul and trying to become a elementary school teacher, but isn't doing so hot on the Basic Skills test. She had a DePaul tutor before, but it wasn't helping so her dad reached out to this private tutoring company and here we are. She's a very sweet girl but a product of America's flawed education system. The material we go over is pretty easy so it required no prep on my part which is nice. In our sessions there are a lot of encouraging words and she says I'm the best tutor she's had. I just hope she can pass this test on her third try... I also like that we have our sessions at the DePaul library which is just a mile away from my house and then I end up staying and studying my own work in a nice and quiet environment afterwards.

No comments:
Post a Comment