I anxiously awaited the day I would get my acceptance email. I think I had a countdown to the hour. That weekend I was going up to Bass Lake anticipating celebratory shots with the family. I kept my phone within an arms reach and checked for new emails from Rush obsessively. No email... No email... No email.... Finally I texted my friend Nadine, who also interviewed with Rush to see if she heard anything. She informed me that an email went out that students wouldn't be notified for another few days. Yup, never got that email; a trend that continues for many of us in cohort 8. Thanks for forwarding it Nadine!
I waited for acceptance day... again and experienced the same nerves as the pseudo one a few days before. Nadine's forwarded email specifically said to expect the email in the early evening. Despite this, I still checked it like a crazy person all day long. By 8ish I started to get nervous; 8pm was not early evening in my book... I called my good ole friend again and the conversation went a little like this.
"Hey Nadine, did you get an email from Rush?"
"Yeah (long pause) Did you?"
"No. Did you get in?"
"(long pause)Yeah"
I probably should have notified Rush that I wasn't getting all the emails, but I assumed that they would make a point to be sure to contact those that were accepted into the program. With that in mind, I thought I was put on the you-didnt-get-in-and-aren't-a-priority-to-contact-right-away list. While I was dying a little inside, I played it cool and started to prep myself for when I'd get the actual "We regret to inform you..." email. The only sliver of hope I had was the fact that some other guy that applied didn't get any notification either. No news is better than bad news. Right?
I emailed like four people at Rush inquiring about the lacking communication and prayed that there was a computer glitch. Thankfully I got an email from Molly that day and could go about my day with stress relieved. To celebrate, or maybe just by coincidence, I had dinner and drinks with my biology friends out on a beautiful sailboat as she sailed up and down the coast of Lake Michigan. Not a shabby end to this debacle!

No comments:
Post a Comment