Monday, January 9, 2012

Not So Manic Monday

Since my semester started last Tuesday, today was the first day in my Nursing Theory class.  Those three chapters I was aiming to read before class, well they didn't all get read.  It was just so god awful boring.  I'm sure the articles will be more exciting, but the text was too dry and uninteresting.  I'm actually thinking about leaving it by my bed since it can easily put me to sleep at night.  The first day was pretty low key, but for the rest of the quarter my group with have to present a 30-35 minute presentation/discussion on nursing theories each week.  My group seems to have a similar outlook on the class as me, in that we want to do well, but aren't going to go overboard or approach things like a Nazi.  I don't foresee any issues, plus the cute Aussie guy with a thick down under accent was conveniently placed in my group which Im not going to complain about.  Is it too early to suggest study groups at my place?

After class I went to an info session for a Schweitzer fellowship.  The program allows you to design an outreach program that addresses health issues for a underrepresented population.  With this you get at least a $2000 stipend that you can spend as you wish whether it's on the program you create or paying for rent and a few drinks to unwind.  Im not 100% sure I have the time to commit to it, but it seemed like a good opportunity and I at least wanted to get information on it.

After that I went to the library with two other friends for a small group tutitorial on how to use the online resources.  I know paper time is coming and thanks to proactive Elizabeth, she set up an appointment so were not panicking with research down the line.  Then I met with my rush mentor.  At orientation, each new GEM students was set up with another GEM students further in the program.  My mentor is exactly a year ahead of me.  It was great to get some insight on teachers, classes and what's yet to come.  It was suppose to be a quick meet and greet, but we ended up talking for over an hour.  I have a feeling she will be an asset at to me at various points in the program.  After that I have a short study session in the cafeteria.  We only got through 4 of the 20 objectives from last weeks lecture, but I know them like the back of my hand.  Think glass half full.  Guess what Ill be doing this weekend though.  First test is next week already...

Wow! I was thinking this was a pretty easy peasy day, but as I'm writing it down I sure did a lot.  Hopefully I can maintain this stamina for the next two years.        

1 comment:

  1. Good job with a full week under your belt. You've lost me already with all your medical lingo dingo. You are like a sponge, keep soaking it up.

    ReplyDelete