Friday, September 14, 2012

Mother/Baby and Peds!

Previous cohorts have said that Med/Surg is the peak of the mountain and then it's smooth sailing from there, but with the switch from quarters to trimesters I'm taking that with a grain of salt.  However, this is the quarter I've been waiting for because of the pediatric rotation.  Here are my classes...

Epidemiology/Biostats:     Mondays  9-12
Mother/Baby then Peds:  Mondays  1-5
Nursing Research:           Online!
Mother/Baby clinical:      Wednesdays 7-7 (1st half of trimester)
Pediatrics clinical:            Saturday 7-7 (2nd half of trimester)

We've gone from 10 week quarters to 15 week trimesters.  Our mother/baby and pediatric classes share the quarter.  We have mother/baby the first 7 weeks and pediatrics the second 7 weeks.  I was fortunate enough to get my number one prefs for clinical so I will be at Evanston's NorthShore Hospital for labor and deliver and University of Chicago's Comer Children's Hospital for pediatrics.  Both amazing hospitals for those clinicals plus I wanted to expand my clinical experience beyond Rush's walls.

With only having one day of class and one day of clinical a week it leaves me with a bit more free time so I decided to start looking for nursing assistant positions.  Keeping my eye on the prize I applied to the new Lurie Children's Hospital.  I contacted my connection and let her know I was looking while I applied to every NA position they had open.  Two weeks later I received a phone call from from HR asking what type of hours and days I was looking for and she send out my resume to the department.  I was feeling hopeful that HR contacted me directly but didn't want to get my hopes up.  Then I heard nothing for another two weeks. I decided to be proactive and shot them a quick email checking the status of my application and was called the next day to fill out a step 2 application and schedule an interview.  My interview is Wednesday and I have no idea what to expect.  Wish me the best!

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck to you Stina on your interview Wednesday. Be confident, your ship will come in...... $$$

    ReplyDelete