Well in typical Rush fashion we've hit the ground running yet again. Our epi/biostats class was rather boring and we spent the first half of class introducing ourselves and saying "something fun!" Being that I've spent most of the days of 2012 with these people I already knew something fun about most of them. While I understand the teacher is meeting us all for the first time, I just could think of 100 better ways to spend my time and tuition money. My something fun was doing two puzzles because puzzles are AWESOME despite what some people may think. Shockingly I got no woos from the crowd. However, people who said something about babies or relationships got woos from the crowd, well everyone except for the infamously awkward classmate who always manages to say the most obscene things at the most inappropriate times, but that could be a post in and of itself. The class seems like it's going to be boring, but I can actually use a break so I'm okay with it and there is only one test. I'll woohoo that!
Mother/Baby on the other hand has my head spinning already. They front load classes to prepare us for clinical. The first week we have three FULL days of class the second week two. She announced that we shouldn't worry and that we would only be tested on the first two days of material. Oh, okay Ramona that's only about 11 hours of lecture and 151 pages of lecture handout notes (yes, I added them). Am I suppose to be relieved by that?! I understand they want us to be "prepared for clinical" but lets be real, we didn't absorb all 151 of those pages. Plus, when a women hits stage 2 of labor I'm calling in the professionals, not putting on the gloves to catch.
I must admit though, while looooong it was an interesting two days learning about physiological changes in the body when pregnant, the labor and delivery process, the fetus and assessment of the newborn. We watched a few clips and while seeing a big head come out of a woman's vagina was a bit traumatizing, I loved it. Aside for that crowning part I thought it was quite a beautiful experience and was almost more into it than I would have thought. I'm still in the game and will play that hand if ever dealt the cards. Can't wait to see the real thing in person.

No comments:
Post a Comment