Saturday, September 22, 2012

Lets go WEGO!

This weekend was my 10 year high school reunion.  It's hard to believe it's already been a decade!  The girls and I decided we were not going to go to the big shindig at St. Andrew's on Saturday, but rather opted for a school tour and the football game on Friday instead.  (I had to be back in the city early on sunday and my first test is on monday, so getting my money's worth in alcohol on Saturday was not in my best interest.)  We all met at Martha's parents and were able to get some quality time in with Cameron before heading to the school.  He is the sweetest, cutest, most go with the flow baby.  I wish they lived closer so I could squeeze his thighs and eat his little ears more often.

We arrived at the school and before the tour even started there were already two episodes of leg crossing laughter that induced tears.  Once when Ang was about to pat herself on the back for "aging well"  until she realized she was comparing herself to the class of 92.  Uh, no kidding we looked better than them.  The second when I opened my big mouth while the particular someone's mom who I was referring to was standing right behind me.  Didn't get that memo....    Nothing really major had changed in the building, since we were going to school there right after the addition was put on.  There were some nice touches, like a new weight room, a rock climbing wall in the field house and a few new murals from the graduating classes.  It was fun walking through the school and being like hey this is where you got kicked out of class, this is where you peed your pants at the basketball game, this is where we use to practice, this is where pep club meetings were etc.  

After the tour we headed to the alumni tent and hung out there most of the night.  Since one of our former classmates now works as a teacher there, he was able to get us in for free!  I enjoyed seeing 98% of the people there and hearing what they're doing with their life.  One is a FBI agent, one was on Wheel of Fortune (fyi he was voted most likely to be a game show host sr. year), one is pretty much a mountain man in Denver, or at least that's what I've gathered.  People from West Chicago clearly do big things!  At one point some of the class of 92ers started to sing the school song.  Of course my fellow cheerleaders joined in.  It's crazy that a song you have not thought about in a decade so easily comes back.  I remembered every word and even some of the cheer moves.  However, the highlight of the night was when Anthony did one of his stand-up comedy routines for us.  He is a mathematical wiz that is slightly  very awkward but means well and probably doesn't have a mean bone in his body.  I mean when I was doing my stats project on the proportion of colors in each M&M bag, he was statistically figuring out the probability of hitting a whammy on Press Your Luck (which later in his career became a published article).  I loved that he had this confidence he never had in high school.  I am happy to report that I had a far better time than I had expected and I will make a full effort to be at the 20 year one.   


No comments:

Post a Comment