The morning of my interview I gave myself a lot of time to get ready and allotted an hour to commute from door to door (despite the fact mapquest said it would be 20 minutes, yeah right). Since they said I would likely be interviewing for a few hours and I had class that afternoon, I brought everything I needed for the day with me that morning, complete with a pillow and change of clothes. We were having our labor support class, hence the reason I drove downtown rather than taking the el. Showing up to an interview with a pillow in hand might have been a little strange. Just saying...
| The Entrance from the parking garage |
I interviewed with HR and it went really well. After going over a few generic questions, "Tell me a time you went above and beyond for a patient" "Tell me about a time you had a difficult patient." "Tell me about a time you worked as a team." she went over the benefits. I was thinking benefits?! This is just a part-time job, what do you mean benefits? Turns out Lurie has awesome benefits even for part-time positions. I would get 15 vacation days, insurance that is a heck of a lot cheaper than the one through school, tuition reimbursement up to $2,500, matching for a 403b retirement fund, I'd begin to get vested in the pension plan and there are a ton of other discounts and perks for employees. See, at Rush the student NAs are considered "temporary workers" so they don't get any hospital benefits so I was completely blown away with the package Children's offered. Now I really wanted this job.
| Yellow Submarine MRI. How Cool! |
HR talked about the next step and how I would interview with the department I'd be working for, then they would talk to see if I would be a good fit. Then she would contact my references and if all checked out she would extend the job offer and I would have to come in with my paper work, get finger printed etc. We even discussed a tentative orientation date. Before she brought me to part two of the interview, she mentioned that if the Resource Team didn't think I was a good fit, then she had other positions available. Im thinking I nailed part one!
| Every floor designed with the patient in mind :o) |
Next I interviewed with a manager from the Resource Team and we hit it off real well. The Resource Team is an amazing position because I am not tied to one unit but rather have the opportunity to work on every unit in the hospital. I'd show up to work and they'd tell me what floor to be on that day. I could go from oncology to neuro to cardiac to ortho even to NICU (but that's more of a hands off unit). The Resource Team is highly regarded by the hospital and and considered an asset by the staff. It would really enable me to see all Children's has to offer. We went over some of the same questions I had in the HR interview and a few new ones. Her last question was, "Is there any thing else you'd like us to know in considering you for this position?" I already had covered that I was driven, motivated, give 100%, a team player and why I wanted to work there so I said I had a lot of heart. I talked about how I feel so privileged to be able to go to work and take care of patients and families during what's likely the worst time in their lives and how rewarding it is at the end of the day when a patient compassionately grabs my hand and thanks me for all I did for them. And then, the unimaginable happened... I started to tear up. I was like oh my god!, she asked if I needed a tissue and I was like oh no, this is just ridiculous and so unexpected. She walked me back to one of the entrances of the hospital and said I would head back from them within a week.
I was feeling pretty confident, but now on to the car/wallet debacle. I had enough time to take a cab home and Nadine was kind enough to pick me up and drive me to school. Then I took the el back to Children's after class and was able to drive home. Because the hospital validated my parking ticket, it was a flat rate so I wasn't racing against the clock. When I got home I had two emails from the hospital. One was from HR saying it was so great meeting me and they would be checking my references shortly. The other was from Renee who referred me. She had forwarded me an email she received from HR which said that she had met me today and though I was a great fit for Children's and thanking Renee for the great referral. I think that is a pretty good sign, but I'm still waiting for the official offer. I was contacted by one instructor already that she just submitted my reference for Children's so they really are contacting them. While it would be great to celebrate with the girls this HS reunion weekend, I just need to be patient :o)
Good Luck Stina! I think Children's would be an amazing place to work..I have friends out here that still drive into the city to work there because of the great benefits! Plus, hopefully we will NEVER have to be there again, but it's nice to know we'd have someone there if we ever do. I know you'll get the job!!!!! PS. I think the NICU would be a cool place to work! ;) Just saying....
ReplyDelete