While she said this was by no means a "day off" but rather a time to catch up on all the other assignments we have, it's hard to not get a little R & R in so I decided it would be okay to head to the lake. My goal was to read my book for my psych assignment so I'd be all ready to write the paper on monday... buuuut when I found out Bobby and the girls were coming down for the weekend too, I knew that wouldn't happen. On our way down we got a phone call that a really big storm hit. Storms at Bass Lake are the best! They come out of nowhere, hit hard and then clear up fast. By the time we got there the storm was gone and all that remained was the destructive trail it left behind. Trees were down, piers were tossed around and boats were flipped. Power was out in several towns. Aunt Neici and Uncle Bob got off pretty easy with just a piece of flashing destroyed on the front of the house. You can see in the picture that Aunt Gam and Uncle Al on the other hand, had quite the clean up. Winds were so strong that it lipped their shore station with the boat inside it.
| You can see the boat flipped on the left side of the picture. It flew from the pier on the right side. |
We didn't have power for 22 hours, but were able to "rough it" for the night and have an enjoyable rest of the weekend. On Sunday we headed home and I was going to spend the night at my moms. Then she called and said there was a huge storm happening back in West Chicago. We anticipated driving into a storm, but had nothing more than a few drops of rain for maybe 10 minutes. When we got off the highway we realized the power was out on North Ave from 355 all the way to West Chicago and beyond. I have never seen a storm do so much damage in my life! Reed Kepler Park was in shambles. Tree after beautiful tree was blown down to the stump. Hundreds of years of growth down in under a day. The devastation was simply deplorable. Our power was out until 3am and my grandparents power is still out over 24 hours later. That's why I picked them up and brought them to my mom's house where we have ac. Two crazy storms and both I just missed
![]() |
| This tree fell right in front of my mom's house. |

No comments:
Post a Comment