Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Spring into Health

So this was my first typical back in school weekend.  It is nice to get out of my clinical/load days at a decent time.  They only go until 11 or 12 this quarter so it feels like you have a whole day still when you're done.  This week 5 of the 7 people in my group decided to out to lunch afterwards since it was our first week back.  We all were ecstatic that our clinical groups stayed the same as first quarter because we had build an awesome rapport with each other.  After, Nadine and I tried to study a little pharm.  Key word tried, we only got through two objectives and had good intentions, but I was due for a nap.  After feeling refreshed I spent my friday night finishing my self-study on the laws and ethics behind medications.  blah, blah, blah....

Saturday I was up early because I volunteered to work Rush's Spring into Health Fair.  I thought it would be a good opportunity to practice my vitals and get more patient interaction.  Buses left Rush at 7:30 am and took us to a school where the fair was set up.  I was assigned to Triage so as people came in I would check their vitals:  pulse, heart rate, respiration, and blood glucose.  Then I would ask them a few health history questions and mark on their sheet which resources I recommend they utilize at the fair.  We has free physicals, free hearing and vision screenings, free immunizations, free aids tests, free dental exams for children under 18, a ton of education and resources about nutrition, diabetes, stroke, women's health etc. and a yoga and hiphop dance class running every 20 minutes.  It was an awesome opportunity for all those families without health care and I look forward to the back to school health fair come August.  After the health fair I was wiped out and too a two hour nap on the couch.  Too exhausted to get ready to do anything I went on a date with my roommate Tyler to see The Hunger Games.  It was awesome!  Hopefully I'll have time to read the second book before the next movie comes out...    

Sunday I went to church with my friend Austin for Palm Sunday.  For those of you who don't believe me here is the proof.  It was my first time at that church and it was beautiful.  We decided that we would be each other's church buddies and try to go every once in a while.  I even remembered how to make crosses out of the palms.  After we went out for breakfast and then I headed to Molly's for a day long study group for my first Assessment test.  Yes, after just a week of school the exams are rolling in.  The teacher posted grades less than an hour after class and I got the best grade yet in my nursing school career.  100% on my first exam!!!  I was displeased that it is only worth 5% of my grade because it's a get-the-feel-for-the-exams-in-this-class kind of test, but I'll take it!  I hope this is a turning of a new leaf and not a fluke.  Pharmacology is really freaking me out though.  I don't think it is humanly possible to remember everything they expect us to in so little time.  Tuesday will be the test of that.        

No comments:

Post a Comment