Throughout my nursing school journey I've learned that sometime you have to do something that is not nursing related whatsoever. We have recently elected two volunteer coordinator positions for SNA's exec board and while we are a professional student nursing organization our first event was at PAWS Chicago. We put a nursing twist on it that this event would create comradery among the cohorts, it would be a great way to destress from school and that it is proven that animals lower peoples blood pressure, but our adviser still wasn't seeing the connection. We decided to go as a small group anyways, unaffiliated with Rush.
| Chapitas with a cuddle buddy (both 10 wk old) |
It was a great experience. While I am not a crazy animal person I do have a soft spot for some of those big fur balls. We started off with an informational video about PAWS mission and values. They are a no kill shelter striving to decrease the population of homeless animals through education and practice. In just one year, one unspayed cat can lead to 420,000 kittens born! In an effort to decrease the overpopulation of animals, PAWS spay/neutered 18,000 animals in 2012 for free or low-costs. Chicago is also one of the most cooperative cities that allows feral (wild domestic) cats to be caught, fixed and returned to their environment. Allowing PAWS to pursue this mission has actually saved the city money because it is cheaper than euthanasia. In 1997 over 42,000 pets were euthanized in Chicago alone. Today, with much help from PAWS and other shelters no kill effort, that number is less than half of what it was.
| Brandon |
After the info session we were put to work assembling cat and dog cones for post surgery recovery. I was relieved because I was under the impression that they would have us cleaning up poop or something along those lines. After making a bunch of cones it was time for some socializing in Dog Town and Kitty City. The gentleman who was orienting us asked if we had a preference or wanted to go to both. I had no shame in saying I only wanted to play with the dogs, preferably big ones. I asked if they ever get Bernese Mountain dogs and he said not really. Once they got a St. Bernard puppy, but he was gone in a day. Last year PAWS found 5,606 animals a home, which is 1,338 more that in 2011! PAWS is also unique because their animals are not kept in cages, instead they have little rooms with a couple dogs in each. Of course the one donated by Oprah Winfrey had a little dog house in it too.
| Little Boy Blue |
I know I don't have a lot of time on my hands now, but come August when I graduate, this is an organization that I would really like to devote time to. They do wonderful things. For example this now three legged friend was picked up from county shelter before they could euthanize him. They had to amputate his front leg, but you would never know it with the way he was hopping around today. He was such a happy little dog.
No comments:
Post a Comment