Donating blood is probably the EASIEST thing someone can do to save a life. According to the Red Cross, someone needs blood every minute or every day and only 3 out of 100 Americans donate. If that doesn't make you want to go out and give your priceless blood, then you're just cold-hearted. It takes no more than 15 minutes of your time and can mean a lifetime to someone else. Plus it's good for your body too!
Rush has a blood center right on campus and if you donate there, your blood will stay and be used at Rush. My friend Nadine and I found this super convenient so we made an appointment together after class. Now I haven't donated blood in years since the last time I tried they said I couldn't because I went to the Dominican Republic. I was a little nervous as to how I was going to take it. While my veins are small, I have pretty good flow and the bag fills up in no time. After the bag was full and the guy was just filling up the viles, I started to get really light headed. Now I'm no stranger to passing out and know my body really well so they got me some juice and delicious cookies. The cookies were so good I asked if I had to fake another pass-out to get one more, but they kindly offered me seconds without all that nonsense. I actually got woosie a little later while studying but knew how to recoup and didn't pull a "Chelsey" (ask her to tell her blood donating story).
Another perk of donating blood at Rush is they give you a free parking voucher! My commuting costs are more than I'd like them to be a month because I drive on days that I work and while I get a student rate, it's still about $8 to park for the day. I wish I could donate blood every week to cut costs, but I suppose I can let my body regain its nutrients from the blood loss and wait eight weeks to make my next appointment.

15 minutes??? huh...not if you go with your godfather. Uncle and I donate blood every 8 weeks and by the time he's done kabitzing with all the nurses (you know how much he loves nurses)we're there 45 minutes. Heartland is giving out free long sleeve T-shirts this month. We always get something when we donate, like Oberweis g/c, plaid pajama pants, t-shirts and the best part is self-gratification.
ReplyDelete