Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Love takes many forms

I hate that Valentine's day is dubbed a "couples holiday."  In my opinion, the day should simply be shared with those you love, no matter what form your relationship takes.  I was thankful that I could spend the evening with my roommates who have become an integral part of my urban family and I love them very much.

Last years v-day celebration was a blast and we wanted to keep up the tradition of having a solid, home cooked, soul food meal.  Everyone contributed to the cooking and the special guest this year was Tyler's friend our friend David.  He made green bean casserole and mashed potatoes and surprised us all with valentines personally selected based on our celebrity/tv show obsessions.  We still have them proudly hung on the fridge.  Super cute and very thoughtful.


While Tyler was finishing up frying the chicken in peanut oil, Matt and I busted open the wine and had a mini dance party to pass the time.  He might have been upset that he couldn't make a "cooking contribution" to the meal, but the wine was an integral part and the floral centerpiece and table sets were a special addition.  We sat and had a delicious meal that even beat the one from last year (didn't think that was possible).  It was so good that the boys gorged themselves and left no room for the ice cream dessert I made.  I on the other hand knew better and only succumbed to seconds on the mac and cheese.  All in all it was a great day and a tradition has definitely been born.  Valentines day = soul food and I joked that even if there is a special someone in the picture down the road, we are heading over to spend the night eating fried chicken and drinking wine with Matt and Tyler or vise versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment