| Caitlin working real hard in Nani's sweatshop |
I worked the day before christmas eve and the day after christmas, which was a first for me. I had always been in school or teaching and had all that time off, but that is not how the nursing schedules work and I guess it's a think Ill have to get use to. In mid December we had our holiday party at Lurie's aka a nice meal set up in the conference room. I waited in line for 45 minutes during my break to get my meal, but it was worth the wait. For thanksgiving they had a traditional turkey and all the fixings which was a nice treat. For Christmas they had a lovely spread and transformed the 11th floor into a festive dining experience. Here is what it took to feed the staff at Lurie's Children's hospital...
- 18 hours of prep and 8 hours of cooking.
- 2,840 meals were served
- 810 lbs of tenderloin cooked
- 6,970 butternut squash raviolis made
- 13,115 shrimp grilled on the skewer
Christmas Eve I went to Aunt Brina's a little early to have a few pre-church cocktails. I remember when we use to have to save two pews for all our family, but slowly that number has dwindled and only 7 of us went this year. It was a quick service and the priest had a cute story about jesus missing from the nativity scene and the priest spotting a boy with the it in his wagon. When the priest ran out and confronted the boy about his actions, the boy replied, I told jesus if he gave me a wagon for Christmas I would give him the first ride. The lesson of the night was "give people the benefit of the doubt," which I don't think is a poor guideline. We went back to the house where the rest of the gang was and engaged in our annual Christmas trivia which can sometimes get a little heated. Fun Facts: Michigan grows the greatest variety of Christmas trees. Teddy Roosevelt is the only president who has banned Christmas trees in the White House. The other 15 questions don't come to mind at this moment. Aunt Neici and I gladly took third, but could have snubbed second if she remembered that Uncle Willie lost the $8,000 bet in It's a Wonderful Life, not Uncle Lester (who isn't even a character). I'm already calling for a new partner next year. Following dinner we played our White Elephant game where every gift had to be $5 and food related. This has become the alternative to Santa visiting each year.
Christmas morning was low key and casual. Mom, dad, Chelsey and I had muffins and coffee while opening our presents. It was nice to have everyone together. Then it was off to make the rounds. First stop Grandma's. The hors d'oeuvres are always plentiful. While saddened that grandma's world famous cheese ball was replaced by a hickory farms version, the great spread of vegetables more than made up for it (just pullin' your chain grandma ;o). After another round of gift giving and eating, Chels and I headed to Nani's just in enough time to sit down for dinner. This year they made 101 raviolis, of which I ate one because I was so stuffed from all the other meals and it was only 3 in the afternoon. I must say I received the best gift by being asked to be little Libby's godmother. I look forward to watching her grow into a strong, confident woman and know I will love her just as much as I do her bigger sisters. Nani and Papa got the second best gift and Im sure the rest of the family would agree. Since the bass lake cottage was auctioned off this year I thought it was only right to make a book of all the memories we shared there. I spent over 20 hours collecting pictures, scanning pictures and organizing pictures to tell the story of Bass Lake over the last 40 years. It was a big hit among all the family and even was granted a few tears. I must have looked it over 100 times while making it and still smile every time. The book is available for viewing at http://basslakebook.shutterfly.com I must say, I'm really proud of this one.
![]() |
| My favorite picture of Papa |



It was Uncle Billy not Uncle Willie you silly....
ReplyDeleteNext year I'm opting for a different partner too, unless you study up. We can study at the cottage, wha-da-ya-think???