Thursday, August 2, 2012

Another reason to hate cats...

I was going about my usual day at clinical on the transplant unit.  Just charting in the hall when a patient is rolled onto the floor in a wheelchair.  I had to do a double take, but it was my psych clinical instructor.  She had her hand all wrapped up and was telling me how dumb she was and that clinical was canceled for the week.  I was going to visit her, but the day got away from me so I stopped by her room the next morning.  While brushing her cat, her cat decided she was done and bit her hand.  She didn't think anything of it since it didn't even bleed.  The next morning she woke up and her hand was a balloon.  Her doctor instructed her to go straight to the emergency room, which at first she thought was crazy.  Apparently, though, cat bites are one of the worst kind because of all the bacteria in their mouth.  Worse than any dog or human bite.  It was like getting an injection of bacteria right into your body.  She was put on IV antibiotics for two days and was waiting for infection control to come and give her the okay to go home.  Such a small world that she was put on my unit.  While sad for her unfortunate event, I am ecstatic to have the day off so I can finish my psych paper, start studying for ATI next week and get all set for the weekend trip to Apple Canyon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment