Thursday, December 27, 2012

A few lessons learned.

1.  Don't assume relationships to the patients.
I had my first foot in the mouth experience at work a month or so ago.  I took morning vitals on this baby and there was a woman sitting in the chair very attentive while I did it.  She didn't speak english, so it was simple convo and that was it.  I came back later in the day and assumed that the lady in the chair was the mother.  So when this young girl came up and was translating as I talked to her I asked, "Are you the older sister?"  To which she replied, "no I'm the mom."  I couldn't believe I just did that and to dig deeper I stupidly replied, "Well you look great for having such a new born."  Well no shit, she was 16.  Turns out the lady in the chair was the grandma.  It made the entire day awkward and I vowed I would never make that mistake again.  So when I walked into another patient's room a few weeks ago, and I was convinced that the man visiting was the kid's grandpa, I asked, "Who this lovely man who came to visit you?"  And the patient said... oh this is my dad.
(Picture picked for you Matt)
2.  Set two alarms when you are sleep deprived.
One day, when I was still training, I woke up for work and noticed light coming through my window and instantly freaked out.  I wake up way before the sun comes up, so I knew, even before looking at my phone, that I had overslept.  I had merely 20 minutes before I was suppose to be at work.  Panic stricken I called the educator that was scheduling me and let her know I was going to be a little late.  There was no way I'd make it in time taking the el so I hopped in my car and drove to the hospital thinking paying for parking was worth saving my butt an extra half hour of being late.  I made it into work only 15 minutes late and was able to relieve the night shift SNA at her regular time.  She even mentioned that she thought I was going to be late.  Which technically I still was.  So I finished my day and went to the lot knowing parking would be expensive, but I had no idea just how expensive.  To park in the garage across the street from the hospital for 6-12 hours costs $45 buck-a-roos!  I probably would have been better off calling in sick or, in retrospect, taking a cab...

3.  Don't go to Bass Lake the weekend before a test.
Last minute I realized I started clinical a week later than I thought and was free, so naturally I scoped out what was going on down at the cottage.  Aunt Neici and Uncle Bob were suppose to help Peachie and Steve work on their garage, so in my head I was thinking they would be preoccupied with that and I can study while glancing up at a great view every once in a while.  Turns out the garage wasn't an all day project and the godparents were out to play.  I may or may not have mentioned that I've never been on a bass lake bar crawl on the golf cart and from there on out the day was shot as far as studying was concerned.  I more or less winged it on the exam and ended up getting a below average grade aka a D.

4.  Don't let life pass you by... even when in nursing school.
The weekend before my second test I went to Apple Canyon.  It was the weekend after Thanksgiving so it seemed justifiable.  I got to spend quality time with my family and experience all that is Diamond Jo Casino.I actually spent some time studying and got an A on the exam which is more heavily weighted than the first.  Come end of the quarter I ended up with a solid B in the course.  That has pretty much become my baseline and I'm not freaking out about it anymore.  Looking at my grade configurations I needed to get nearly 100% on the first exam to get an A (an event that has only been achieved once in my nursing school career).  Im not upset I got a B in the class and Im not upset I got a D on the first test.  It was a great impromptu weekend to Bass Lake and Apple Canyon.

 5.  Cross out Don't go to Bass Lake the weekend before a test.

1 comment: