Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Favorite Holiday

Halloween is one of, if not the best holiday of the year.  I started getting ready October 1st, well maybe it was September 30th, but whose counting.  It was a nice day out and I didn't want to freeze while decorating outside.  I set up a grave yard, hung some bats and a skeleton on the porch and adorned the inside with cute little ghosts and pumpkins.  While we were a house divided on the decorating issue, I appreciate my one roommate letting me have this month to do as I please with the house (Thank you, Matt! Christmas is all yours :o).

Last weekend Tyler went to a pumpkin patch and bought some beautiful pumpkins for us to carve.  I was going to look up ideas on the internet when he said he wanted to do Jack's face from Nightmare Before Christmas so I decided to go with the theme and do the cover scene with Jack walking on the cliff in the moonlight.  It took us over two hours from start to finish but the pumpkins turned out great!  I also made special pumpkin seeds this year.  One batch with cinnamon and sugar and one with sea salt and cayanne pepper.  The cinnamon and sugar were to die for.  Tyler took about 10 pictures adjusting the dimmer switch to capture them in the perfect lighting.  I'm glad he did because I came home the other day and my Jack was already starting to wilt.  

While I much adore dressing up, I wasn't sure if I'd have time with school and the new job to think up and make something because there is no way I'd ever use one of those generic out-of-a-bag costumes.  I'd rather not dress up.  But then I get a voicemail from my friend Austin one night and it goes along the lines of this... "So we were thinking of ideas for Halloween.  We're doing Pinocchio characters and it turns out you have to be Jiminy Cricket.  Call me. Bye."  Of course I got excited because I knew I could do this one spot on after a little research.  That weekend we went out shopping and I snatched a red sweater and hideous pseudo-suede pants from a thrift store.  Then I was able to get a top hat that I could spray paint blue and put a tail coat on hold to rent for the weekend.  Last stop was Joann Fabrics for some finishing touches since I love to pay attention to detail.  The costume came together rather quickly and I was so excited to get dressed up Halloween weekend.  Our group consisted of Pinocchio, Gepetto, Jiminy Cricket, the fairy godmother, the boy who turns into a donkey, the whale and Cleo (a real goldfish).  I must say, Geppeto, Jiminy and the donkey boy were the front runners.  Im still trying to get my hands on a group pic so stay tuned.       

No comments:

Post a Comment